Answer each of the following in three complete sentences minimum.
1. Should books be banned? Why or why not?
2. Should crude language, including hate speech (i.e. racial slurs) be censored from literature? Why or why not?
1.What do you consider true equality to be?
2.Do you believe everyone is truly equal today? Why or why not?
1. Describe what the Jim Crow Laws are.
1. Should we have recess in high school? Why or why not?
2. If so, what would high school recess look like?
1.Describe a time in which you stood up against something that was wrong.
**OR: Describe a time in which someone stood up for you.
Your five-paragraph short story/narrative that you started in class is DUE MONDAY 10/22 WHEN YOU WALK INTO CLASS! Remember to incorporate each of the plot elements from your graphic organizer. Your graphic organizer is also due with your essay on Monday.
Your essay should follow the following structure:
**Email me or text me on Remind if you have any questions over the weekend.
Answer each of the following in at least three complete sentences.
1. Describe the characters that you will include in your story.
1. Describe the setting of your story.
2. What mood will you create in your story? How will you create the mood?
1. What is the perfect location for a classroom? Explain.
1. Describe how your short story will end.
2. What is going to be the theme (life lesson) of your story?
1. Describe what you think the following quote means:
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
-Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Answer each of the following in 3-5 complete sentences.
1. What elements define an author's style? (Refer back to your notes from Friday if you get stuck with this).
1. Describe what a catacomb is (from the video yesterday).
2. Based off of what we learned about Edgar Allen Poe from the video yesterday, what can we expect his writing to be like?
1. Describe the difference between dramatic irony and verbal irony (refer back to your notes from yesterday).
2. Describe the dramatic irony in "The Cask of Amontillado" short story.
Thursday (NO CLASS)
1. If you could write a story about anything (school appropriate), what would you write it about? Describe it in at least five sentences.
**Yes, you will be writing a story. Consider this your very rough draft/brainstorming of ideas.
Answer each of the following in three complete sentences.
1. What elements make a goof story?
2. How can an author's style affect a story?
1. Describe how this photo is ironic.
2. Based off of your observations, what do you think irony is?
1. Draw a symbol that represents you as a person.
2. Describe how this symbol represents you.
1.Write a five-sentence (minimum) long alternative ending to “Lamb to the Slaughter”. Change your story from the point right when Mrs. Maloney kills her husband. YOU create the events that follow. Be creative!
1. What does freedom mean to you? What does it mean to be free?